Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Leavenworth: Beating the Rain

Friday with 1/2 a tank of gas leftover from the impromptu Gold Bar trip, I put in the rest and headed on a solo trip to Leavenworth. I left Oly after class and arrived at the Millenium boulder a little after noon. After a warm up in nice, cold temps, I hauled my three pads up to Droppin' the Kirschbaum V10. After a couple warm up goes(and slipping off the lip) I manged to do all the moves on the sloping lip traverse back to the finish, a new high point! Few burns later i was standing in the off-width finish!
Next up I checked out Angelina Jolie V12 and made goo progress up the sloping ramp with just two moves to the finish! I then called it a day and checked out Turbulence V12 which i'm very excited about trying this weekend, The Cotton Pony Pointer V10, which I decided I wanted a spot for to prevent rolling down the embankment to the road. And also the V10 on the Hand boulder, the one move looks BIG.
Saturday night the light tapping of rain on the roof of the Pilot turned into steady rain and I knew Saturday was done for. So after getting up and stopping by Swiftwater(stuff was dry but felt too lazy to get wet) I made a very long trek home over Highway 2. I stopped off at every other Forest service road and re-found some cool blocks. There is some potential off of the trail to Mildred Lake, as well as Smithbrook. Here are the photos from smithbrook! Can't wait till summer!
The Pilot
The second talus field, contained two boulders, the other 50 yards to the left
3 feet from the road. Potential start on flake and up the arete.
The big boulder is 20-25 feet tall, arete!
The whole first Talus field. There is also another Talus field across the stream with potenital for sport climbing, and maybe some more boulders!

1 comment:

Adam said...

Nice post Jimmy, the pictures of mossy blocs are inspiring... there's gotta be tons of talus out there just waiting for a good scrub and vision.