Monday, September 14, 2009

More Climbing in Olympia!

Since all my rides for a Leavenworth trip fell apart, I decided to stay local and check out a hunch I had 'bout some local climbing. Boy, was I rewarded. Awhile back I checked goolge Earth for some steep looking walls and found some near Yelm, on Vail Loop Road. I tried to check this place out earlier, but the road online is actually a gated Warehouser road. The second time the road was closed due to high fire danger. This time, all was good. I saw two potential crags(Rock quality unknown) but what I was huntin' fer were BOULDERS. The first one I found was a weird basketball shaped boulder, which is conglomerate similar to the near by Fossil Rock. A little father away there were 6 or so more in a little valley. The quality is iffy but it IS climbable. I'll be back with some pictures and a brush. The approach is a short 20min. bike ride on a PAVED road! There is rock near Oly, but consider it adventure bouldering... -jimmy

Click the link for a view from google earth of the boulder

View Larger Map

No comments: