Monday, September 7, 2009

RAIN! In Leavenworth

30% chance my but! What was going to be a multi day trip with a couple car loads ended up being a fun day trip and one car. I went with some realitively new climbers who happen to be going to SPSCC too. Ryan, his sister Amanda, and Jimmy and I headed over the pass in rain and rolled into a cloud/Leavenworth. This has never happened to me before. We optimistaclly set up camp and headed over to the Swifterwater cave where a group from the Circuit Bouldering gym in Portland were huddle. We joined them for a bit and Ben was there(I met him in Squamish). I felt pretty strong in the cave, flashing the right route and getteing the middle left line in a couple goes(No top outs, it was raining). After debating what to do, we ventured into the tourist trap and walked around. We stopped in a cheese store and had some really good sweet/nutty cheese, so we bought a 1/4 pound and some pastries and headed to camp for dinner. After dinner in the rain we headed across the road to The Lefty(V7). The thing was hard and trick, but dry(though drips seemed to hunt down Jimmy). We made up a couple of lines. After messing around we called it quits, packed up and headed home. It was a harsh intro to outdoor climbing for Amanda, but next time it will be dryer, I promise!
On Sunday, Lisa, Eric Givins and I sped on up to Stone Gardens to test our nettle inside of the storm. I surprised myself flashing most V6's but getting shut down cold on V7's and up. It was good training to get on non-Jimmy routes, and not know the sequence. Hopefully next weekend is dry, so I can get on some nice granite. On side a note, I aquired the Mamzama Guide book and the place looks really fun, future trips next year... -jimmy

2 comments:

NM said...

GOod. Jimmy the weather definitely can suck but the sunshines always on the inside for climbing!lol

Micah Bryan Humphrey said...

Dude, I've totally been there with the whole rain situation. It's almost as if you've entered another dimension when it starts to rain in Leavenworth.
Nice job in the cave, I think the farthest right line is a V.6, and there are a couple V.10's in there as well. Mazama here we come!